Chrissy Teigan dragged this recipe off straight off of a Sports Illustrated photo shoot. She told me herself. Spearfishing for scallops in designer swimwear is tough, but it sure does burn calories – which comes in real handy as this recipe features both butter AND oil. Lucky arteries. Actually, it was really delicious and stupidly simple; I’d make it any time. Chrissy says to pair it with a warm corn salad, but swimwear and carbs aren’t friends for me, so I made a batch of ratatouille. Oh, and this recipe demands some crusty, French bread to soak up the buttery run-off. Pretend you didn’t hear that and resist. RESIST!
Without further ado…
Naked and afraid. Straight off the beaches of Bali, Chrissy caught these.
- 6-12 jumbo scallops
- 1 T. butter (quantity reduced for swimsuit season)
- 1 T. olive oil (quantity reduced for swimsuit season)
- Pat scallops dry with a paper towel, so they carmelize, not steam. Salt and pepper one side.
- Heat oil, then add butter into a cast iron skillet. Melt over medium-high heat.
- Add scallops to the skillet, seasoned side down. Cook for 2 minutes. DO NOT MOVE THEM.
- Delicately, pat the top of the scallop with a paper towel and salt and pepper the naked side.
- Flip scallops and cook for another 2 minutes.
VOILA. How easy is that?