This salad might be a contender for the best dish of quarantine. It’s like a deli sandwich exploded and the bread just disappeared, leaving a crunchy, fresh, meaty pile of chop in it’s wake. Wonderful. The real recipe also calls for chickpeas, but if I’m eating that level of carb, it’s going to be pasta.
Without further ado, another outstanding recipe from What’s Gaby Cooking’s ‘Eat What You Want’ cookbook that’s quickly become a quarantine bible.
Gaby’s LA Chop Salad
For the Salad:
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- 1 head radicchio
- 1/2 of a small red onion, thinly sliced and chopped into bites
- 1 pint of cherry tomatoes, deseeded and quartered
- 8 oz. pearl mozzerella, or ball of fresh mozzerella caught into bite sized bits
- 4 oz. thick cut provolone shreds
- 4 oz. Genoa salami, cut into small cubes
- 1/3 of a jar of pepperoncini’s, diced
For the Lemon Viniagrette:
- Juice of one lemon
- 2 T. red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1/2 c. olive oil
- Kosher salt and pepper
- Make the viniagrette by whisking all the ingredients together. Set aside.
- Slice and dice iceberg and radicchio into thin slices.
- Chop tomatoes, onions, and pepperocinis.
- Dice cheese if needed and then salami
- Assemble salad, season with Kosher salt and pepper.
- Toss lightly with dressing.
Ingredients are best diced and stored in individual containers until ready to be tossed into a salad. Suggest doing this on a Saturday night to the tune of DJ Nice’s Club Quarantine vibes.