This is one of those recipes that you know must be wonderful because my photos are so.damn.bad. I’m not much for cauliflower rice – it’s clearly not the carb it masquerades to be and it makes my stomach hurt? No thanks. I’ll just eat a salad.
After reviewing my favorite Brewery Bhavana’s menu for their amazing crab fried (actual) rice, I thought hell, let’s try to fake it for the keto lovers on our quarantine. I am happy to report that it was DELICIOUS. I’ll stop giving cauli-rice the side eye with this one and keep this gem in rotation.
Funk Food: Crab Fried “Rice”
- 4 T. olive oil
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- One 16oz. package of cauliflower rice
- 4 scallions, chopped, whites and greens separated
- 2 T. fish sauce
- Pinch of Kosher salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- 3 eggs, cracked and whisked
- 6 oz. fresh, lump crab meat
- Anything extra- bacon, pork belly, any veggies
- Chili oil for serving
- Heat 3 T. of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and saute about five minutes, until translucent.
- Add garlic and whites of the scallions- saute another minute or two until fragrant.
- Add cauliflower rice. Then add fish sauce, chili oil, salt, and pepper.
- Spread rice in an even layer (push onions aside if needed) and allow to cook undisturbed for 2-3 minutes so it crisps and browns.
- Push rice to side and make a clear opening in middle of rice. Add remaining tablespoon of olive oil.
- Pour eggs into middle of rice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook undisturbed, until egg whites start to set. Then, break up the egg mixture and incorporate into rice.
- Add the crab meat and cook another 2-3 minutes.
- Add in vegetables, greens of scallions, and anything else you are incorporating into stir fry. Heat until warm.