I remember when my brother and I were wee little children we used to find it hilarious to call those overly salty, overly brown bags, rye, bagel-chippy bags of Gardetto’s, “Gardetto’s Snack Crap.” That’s precisely what it was.
Chrissy Teigan had the opposite reaction. She would NEVER call the Gardetto’s “snack crap.” The salt bombs were too precious to her. Being that I’m an adult now (most days) and she’s Chrissy Teigan (everyday), I decided to give her spin on snack crap another try. Chex Mix is my number one go to for road trips and pool days and being that I was headed on a four hour drive, I figured now was the perfect time.
This recipe was good. Not great, definitely not Gardetto’s. Just good. It should have been great. It’s a buttery cereal mix that CT suggests you stick bagels in…need SOME of my pants to fit, I had to leave the side of bread out of this one. I’ll stick to regular Chex Mix recipes in the future, as I’m not sure the added steps and ingredients really did much good to this batch of snack crap. Maybe it really was just missing bread. But, if you’re like me and must try things for yourself…here’s my take on Teigan’s crap.
I Can’t Believe It’s Not Gardetto’s
- 3 c. of Chex cereal (any kind)
- 1 c. broken Grissini bread sticks
- 1 c. broken pretzel sticks
- 1 c. salted nuts
- 2 c. Cheeze-Its
- 1 stick of unsalted butter
- 6 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 small onion, cut into 1″ pieces
- 1/4 c. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 T. Cholula
- 1/4 tsp fresh black pepper
- 1-2 c. peanut butter M&M’s
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine Chex, bread sticks, pretzels, nuts, and Cheeze-Its into a roasting pan.
- Melt butter in a sauce pan over medium heat.
- Add garlic and onion to butter (oh your kitchen is gonna stink). Allow to cook until garlic turns brown on the edges, about 10 minutes.
- Strain the solid pieces from the butter.
- Whisk in Worcestershire sauce, Cholula, and pepper into the melted butter.
- Pour butter over cereal mixture, coating evenly.
- Cook for 12 minutes. Then, remove pan and toss mixture.
- Cook for another 12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Add M&M’s.
Voila! Snack crap! Your kitchen is going to smell terrible tomorrow and your waist line is going to hate you, but you must do this to yourself anyway.