Thanksgiving is over! No more carbs with a side of potatoes, with another kind of carb on the side. Nope. Time to kick the habit.
I found this amazing recipe for cottage cheese pancakes that are gluten-free to boot. Even if you don’t like cottage cheese, I promise you don’t taste it at all. They are savoury, flavorful with a magical butter quality without an ounce of butter. Mmmm I could get used to these in regular rotation. Today I made them with my easy apple compote, but they’d be even better with a couple links of turkey sausage on the side.
How’s that for a healthy breakfast?
They’re a little flat, but your abs will be too.
This apple compote is toooo easy!
Cottage Cheese Pancakes with Apple Compote
- 3/4 c. Low-fat cottage cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 c. Gluten-free flour
- 1/8 tsp. Baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 2 Granny Smith apples, finely diced
- 1/2 c. Water
- 1-2 tsp. Cinnamon
- On medium heat, combine all apple Compote ingredients in a non-stick frying pan. Cook 20-40 minutes, depending how “apple-saucy” you like your Compote. I like a crunch and cooked mine for about 20 minutes. Stir occasionally and add more water if needed.
- Place cottage cheese in a small food processor. Chop until smooth.
- Add cottage cheese and eggs in a bowl. Whisk together.
- Add dry ingredient to the cottage cheese egg mixture and combine.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Lightly coat with oil.
- Drop 1-2 Tablespoons of pancake batter in the cast iron and allow to brown and then flip.
- Place a couple pancakes on a plate and top with apple Compote.
- Don’t forget to buy turkey sausage!
One Comment Add yours