It turns out that longevity is a lot like revenge and is best served cold. This simple dish was a standout of my lunar new year brunch with friends taking it to go and it being the highlight of the following seriously bonkers work days. Save yourself about half of the sauce and prep extra toppings to freshen up the dish in the following days. Send yourself some noods already.
Cold Longevity Noodle Salad
For the noodles:
- 1 package of Chinese noodles (egg base, not rice noodles)
- 1 English cucumber, shredded
- 1 c. shredded carrots
- 1/2 T. sesame oil.
For the sauce:
- 6 tsp. sugar
- 4 tsp. rice vinegar
- 1 T. miso paste
- Pinch of salt
- 2 T. low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 T. chili oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Sliced scallions
- Salted peanuts, chopped
- Whisk together all ingredients of sauce. Set aside.
- Cook noodles nearly according to package instructions, about 80% of suggested cooking time.
- Drain noodles and toss with 1/2 T. sesame oil. Allow noodles to completely cool.
- Once cool, toss with cucumber and carrots.
- Drizzle HALF of the dressing over noodles.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Sprinkle with scallions and peanuts just before serving.
- Revive noodles with the other half of the sauce in the day or two following.