Happy lunar new year, ya’ll! I don’t know anyone more ready for some cleansing, fresh vibes than this girl right here…which I suppose is ironic being that the holiday was ushered in by a carb-laden dim sum brunch and just wee bit of wine with the girls. There was this cucumber salad that Chrissy Teigan notes is even better over hot rice. I opted to serve it just as a salad since we’d be ingesting our pastry in (so many) other ways. I’m constantly trying cucumber salad recipes, and this one is defo a standout.
Chrissy’s Cucumber Salad
- One large, English cucumber sliced thinly (or Persian cucumbers)
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 6 T. vegetable oil
- 2 T. rice vinegar
- 5 tsp. sugar
- 2.5 tsp. fish sauce
- 2 tsp. sesame oil
- For garnish: sliced scallions, red chilis, peanuts, sesame seeds
- Skin your cucumber so it’s stripey. Slice and place into a large bowl.
- Toss cucumber with kosher salt and allow to rest in a strainer for about 30 minutes.
- Drain cucumbers on paper towels and pat dry.
- Combine all other ingredients for a dressing and toss with cucumbers.
- Top with scallions, red chilis, chopped peanuts, and sesame seeds.