I must have been good this year as I received TWO new Ina cookbooks for my collection! Despite not planning any meals whatsoever while at my parents’ house, I had to break into Ina’s ‘Go To Dinners’ with…well…not a dinner, but the best salty, savory, apero snack I’ve made in awhile. ‘Twas so nice, I made it twice in fact. New year, new recipe…hop to it!
Ina’s Chipotle Cheddar Crackers
- 1 stick of unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 lb. Cheddar, shredded
- 1 c. plus 2 T. flour
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder (Ina calls for Chipotle, but who has that)
- 1 tsp. Kosher salt
- Flaked sea salt
- With an electric mixer combine: butter, cheddar, flour, chili powder, and salt.
- Sprinkle in 1-2 tablespoons of water and mix slowly until dough begins to form a ball.
- On a floured surface roll dough into a log about 1.5″ wide and 12″ (mine was longer) long.
- Wrap in plastic and chill in the refrigerator for at least one hour. (Ina says you can chill for a few days if needed and even freeze for several months!)
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut dough log into 1/2″ thick crackers and place on baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with flaked sea salt.
- Bake 15 minutes or until undersides are golden.
- Flip crackers over and bake another 2 minutes so both sides have browned.
- Serve immediately or at room temp.
Note: crackers become a bit limp stored in plastic, but can easily be revived by placing them on a baking sheet and giving them a few minutes in a low temperature oven ~250F.