Is it clear I’m coming upon 40… I love soup….this must be a key sign of entering the next decade. This one was so easy, so comforting, and ludicrously simple if you buy squash that is already cubed. It’s definitely one for the winter rotation and if you top it with pretzel bread croutons and Gruyere, it’s a full meal. Let me show you.
Ina’s Winter Squash Soup
- 2 T. butter
- 1 T. olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 15oz. pumpkin, diced (or pumpkin puree if you live in the US)
- 1.5 lb. butternut squash, diced
- 3 c. chicken stock
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 c. half & half
- Gruyere and pretzel bread croutons to top
- Heat butter and oil in a skillet over medium-low heat. Cook onions until transluscent.
- Add the pumpkin, butternut squash, chicken stock, salt, and pepper. Cover and simmer 20 minutes until squash is tender.
- Smooth the ingredients with an immersion blender (or food processor).
- Stir in half and half and heat until warmed.
- Flavor with salt and pepper.