This recipe is so simple, feeds a crowd, and probably seems a lot fancier than she really is deep down. Inspired by a Martha Stewart recipe, I’ve gone rogue and made it even simpler after an incident that we’ll just call the “incident of the very unfortunate Swiss spinach.” Now, let’s leave it there and get on with our chicken and zucchini stuffed crepes.
As you can see, they were taken by guests quite quickly, so all I got was a quick snap with my favorite potholder. This is your 30’s. You have a favorite potholder.
Chicken & Zucchini Crepes
For the Bechamel
- 3 T. unsalted butter
- 4 T. flour
- 2 tsp. Dijon
- 4 c. whole milk
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1 c. shredded Gruyere
- Salt & pepper
For the Crepes
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 white onion, diced very small
- 2 zucchini, diced very small
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 lb. chicken cubes
- 1/2 c. Gruyere, shredded
- 10 savory crepes
- Parsley for garnish
- Make your bechamel so you can set it aside to cool.
- Melt butter over medium heat in a sauce pan. Add flour, stirring constantly until roux created browns a bit and smells nutty, ~5 minutes.
- Stir in the Dijon.
- Whisk in the milk constantly over medium-high heat until the mixture is smooth.
- Reduce heat to a simmer.
- Stir in nutmeg, Gruyere, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir frequently for about 10 minutes until sauce has melded. Set aside to cool.
- In a large saute pan, saute onion over medium-high heat until just transluscent
- Add the garlic, saute for another minute.
- Add zucchini. Salt and pepper as needed. Saute until just tender. Remove veggie mix from pan and place in a bowl to cool.
- In the same pan, add a touch more olive oil and chicken cubes. Salt and pepper as you saute. Hell, use chicken seasoning if you’d like- I did. Remove chicken to a large cutting board to cool.
- Once chicken is cool, finely dice chicken.
- In a large bowl combine chicken and 3/4 c. of bechamel sauce.
- Note:This is all easily done in advance. Prep crepes just before baking.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Take a crepe, fill with 1/4 c. of chicken mixtures and a heaping soup spoon or two of zucchini and onion mixtures.
- Roll into a tight cylinder. Place seam side down in a baking dish, leaving a little room between crepes. Repeat until crepes and mixture are used.
- Spoon bechamel atop each crepe then top with a sprinkle of Gruyere.
- Bake crepes about 15 minutes.
- Change oven to broil and cook until your cheesy spots turn brown.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with parsley just before serving.