After reading through quite a few roasted chicken recipes, nothing seemed quite right. I wasn’t trying to roast a whole chicken and while I love lemon, I just wasn’t in the mood for a lemony, winey chicken. At a recent dinner I attended, someone ever so simply roasted chicken legs and served it ever so simply with some diced veg. I’d do just that, but I’d do it better because I like flavor.
This dish is simple, but the caramelized veggies makes it taste like a treat. Perfect for winter without being some mashed potato-laden comfort food.
Rosemary Garlicky One-Pan Chicken
- 4 chicken legs, skin on- or hell, use more, but we are cooking for one here.
- Salt and pepper
- 4 medium carrots, many colors if you can find them
- 4 parsnips
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 4 medium Swiss gold (or Yukon) potatoes
- 1 small purple onion
- 1 small white onion
- 10 cloves of garlic
- 2-3 T. olive oil
- 2-3 T. of butter
- 3 T. of fresh rosemary
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Salt and pepper your raw chicken legs on all sides. Set aside.
- Peel your onions, carrots parsnips, and sweet potatoes. Cut into int 1″ chunks.
- Leave the skin on your Swiss/Yukon potatoes. Cut into 1″ chunks.
- Place all of these 1″ veggies on one large baking tray.
- Peel 8 cloves of garlic and toss them throughout the veggies.
- Sprinkle the whole baking tray with salt. Drizzle lightly with olive oil.
- Place chicken on top of veggies.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan. Add 2 remaining cloves of garlic, mined. Add rosemary. Stir until fragrant.
- Baste chicken with melted butter mixture. Any leftover can go on the veggies.
- Place any leftover rosemary on top of the veggies for extra flavor. No need to de-sprig it.
- Roast for 15 minutes. Toss veggies around. Roast for 10 minutes.
- Broil 2-3 minutes to caramelize the skin of the chicken and tops of the veggies.
- Serve in a bowl and eat in front of Netflix on a cold night.