How gorgeous is this salad from What’s Gaby Cooking? Yet ANOTHER win from this woman. Beautiful and cheese free which is what we are trying to be – at least this week. Her recipe is real heavy on the sesame oil, so I’m sharing my take here. Also, the original recipe calls for a crunchy, sesame peanut topping, which I am here for…but I think I executed it poorly and I got a better crunch from the veggies, so I’m leaving it out here.
Thai Beef Salad
For the beef & marinade:
- 1.5 lb flank steak
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced,
- 1 T. honey
- 1 T. fish sauce
- 1/4 c. sesame oil
- 1/4 c. soy sauce
For the salad:
- Head of romaine lettuce
- 1 red pepper sliced and chopped
- 3 Persian cucumbers, chopped,
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- Combine all marinade ingredients in a large plastic ziplock bag. Add beef and allow to marinade overnight.
- Remove beef from marinade and allow to come to room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
- While that’s happening, clean and chop veggies. Set salad aside.
- Make or dress salad lightly with desired dressing (recipe suggestion is too sesame heavy for me).
- Heat 1 T. canola oil over high heat.
- Remove beef from marinade and dry beef. (Marinade burns at high heat).
- Sear 4 minutes per side.
- Remove from heat and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Slice steak thinly and place on top of salad.