One of the few saving graces of quarantine has been the chance to pause, reflect, and cook a whole bunch of things that you usually would not bother with. For me, this was Gaby’s Chicken Schnitzel (sounds a little…cheeky, no?). I was all, ok fine, that looks not that interesting, but since Gaby so highly endorsed it, of course it was wonderful.
The cookbook suggests an arugula salad with cucumber and avocado, but by the time i got around to concocting it, all that was not wilted and awful was the arugula, so there you have it.
Gaby’s Chicken Schnitzel
- 4 chicken breasts
- 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 T. paprika
- 1 T. garlic salt
- 1 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 2 eggs
- 2 c. panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 c. vegetable oil
- Place chicken breasts in a large ziplock bag, one at a time. Pound bag with meat mallet until chicken is about 1/2″ thick. Set aside.
- Set-up three large dinner plates.
- Plate 1- mix together flour, paprika, garlic salt, Kosher salt, and pepper.
- Plate 2- whisk 2 large eggs with 2 T. water
- Plate 3- panko breadcrumbs
- Dip each chicken breast in flour mixture, egg mixture, and panko.
- Heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat. When very hot, cook chicken breasts 2 at a time for three minutes. Then, flip and cook other side for three minutes.
- Remove cooked chicken from pan and drain on paper towels.
- Cook next batch as above.