Made this for the real eggplant lover in my life, who of course, loved it. To me it was good, but not life changing. Eggplant is a mop for oil and this recipe, the eggplants just kept drinking and drinking it up.
They were good, but definitely felt like something a heavy-handed Italian grandmother would make. But, if you’re in the mood for an old-school Italian grandmothering, this is for you.
Gaby’s Pan-Roasted Eggplant with Pecorino
- 1/4 c. olive oil – really, probably more as they start to brun
- 1.5 lb. baby eggplant, sliced in half lenghthwise and quartered if thick
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Pecorino Vinaigrette-
- 2 T. lemon joice
- 1/2 c. olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 c. grated Pecorino
- Kosher salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- Make your vinaigrette and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add eggplant and turn often for about 15 minutes. Add more oil if eggplant starts to burn- you want it to caramelize.
- Transfer eggplant to a large bowl and toss with (more oil!) about half of the vinaigrette.
- Save the rest of the vinaigrette for your salad.
- Sprinkle with more Pecorino if desired and serve.