Well, instead of cooking up one big dish on Sunday afternoon noon, now I cook Saturday nights until one or two in the morning. I’m on week three of this odd cycle and it has become the highlight of my week. I crank up IG Live (again, so weird in itself) and find a DJ who is live performing a set, put on some comfy slippers, pour a drink, and get to cooking…and dancing! DJ DNice is beyond an incredible cooking partner. Plus, he goes off camera every 30-60 minutes to switch up his hat game which is pretty inspirational itself.
This COVID bit has totally reshaped my daily and weekly routines. Anyone else? Oh, right, everyone.
Anyway, without further ado, Alison Roman’s Sticky Chili Chicken of Saturday night dance parties. Girl still doesn’t respond on IG, but I must assume she is dancing during these trying times too.
Sticky Chili Chicken with Pineapple
- 4 lb. bone-in, skin-on chicken, any type
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1/2 c. rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 c. sambal
- 1/4 c. fish sauce
- 1/4 c. fresh lime juice
- 2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 pineapple cut into spears or wedges
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 1 T. toasted sesame seeds
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Place into a sealable baking dish.
- In a bowl, combine brown sugar, vinegar, sambal, fish sauce, lime juice, red pepper, and garlic. Whisk until sugar is dissolved.
- Pour mixture over chicken and marinate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 425F. Place chicken and pineapple on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle marinade over the whole bit.
- Roast chicken 50-60 minutes, until brown and cooked through.