A Super Model French Onion soup is Super interesting…there’s a soy sauce element not found in the soup a l’ognion that I’m having in Switzerland. This one has that umami element coupled with the brilliant invention of self-toasting croutons.
Tell me this isn’t the perfect meal for the first snow day in a year and a half? (Plus, I finally get to use these cute crocs!)
Crunchy, cheesy, stretchy richness to keep you warm on the coldest night of the year.
French Onion Soup with Croissant Croutons
- 2 croissants, cut into 1.5″ cubes
- 1 T. olive oil
- 4 T. butter
- 5 c. onions (3-4), thinly sliced and cut in half
- 3 thyme sprigs
- 4 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 T. flour
- 1/2 c. dry red wine
- 3/4 T. soy sauce
- Kosher salt
- Croissant Croutons
- 1/3 lb., shredded Gruyere/Swiss
- Make your croutons! Heat oven to 350F. Throw croissant chunks on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, tossing halfway through. The butter in the bread will self brown them. Brilliant.
- In a heavy bottomed pot, heat oil and butter over high heat. Add onions and thyme. Cook, stirring often for about 15 minutes, until the onions begin to shrink.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add garlic. Continue to cook, stirring frequently another 20 minutes or until onions are all evenly golden brown.
- Add the flour and cook until onions are coated and dulled in color, about 3 minutes.
- Add the wine and bring heat to medium, allowing mixture to boil. Cook until wine is evaporated, about 5 minutes.
- Discard the thyme sprigs.
- Add broth, soy sauce, and 1/2 tsp. salt.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce to a simmer until soup has thickened, about 45 minutes.
- Turn broiler of oven on.
- Place crocks on baking sheet. In bottom of crock, place 2 T. of cheese. Spoon soup on top of cheese, nearly to the top of the crock. Add a few croutons, and top with more cheese.
- Broil 3-4 minutes, until cheese and croutons are browned as desired.