Need a last minute dessert that starts from a box cake? If you keep it simple or are better at decorating than yours truly, it should be take between a quick time and four hours. It’s a mint Oreo blizzard cake, just like Dairy Queen, well…without the ice cream. Check out this monster. I’d recommend buying clear vanilla so your buttercream doesn’t turn tan, but whatever.
The Milk Bar cake view…
Post buttercream and a very low key ganache drizzle. Note to cooks: let your cake cool in the fridge for a bit and maybe the ganache harden for 5-10 minutes also… Otherwise… Nailed it!
In the end, she’s cute and cuddly, but you could have saved yourself a few hundred steps with patience and less chocolate. A tale of the ages…
Mint Oreo Blizzard Cake
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1/2 c. sour cream
- 12 mint oreos, roughly crushed
For the Oreo Buttercream:
- 1 c. unsalted butter, softened
- 2 c. powdered sugar,
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2-4 T. whipping cream
- 1 c. mint Oreos, crushed
For the Oreo Layer:
- 12 mint Oreos, roughly chopped
For the Vanilla Buttercream Layer:
- 2 c. unsalted butter, softened
- 4 c. powdered sugar
- 1 T. vanilla
- 3 T. whipping cream
For the Chocolate Ganache:
- 2 c. semi-sweet chocolate morsels
- 5 T. whipping cream
- Make the cake according to box instructions, adding in the sour cream as well.
- Stir in the Oreo crumbles.
- Bake in two 9″ rounds according to the box instructions.
- Allow cake to cool and prepare your other layers.
- For the Oreo buttercream: mix all ingredients well together then at the very end, gently stir in the Oreo crumbles. If you do it all at once your icing will be grey.
- For the Oreo layer: roughly smash Oreos as you have been doing…I recommend a meat mallet.
- For the vanilla buttercream: mix all ingredients well together.
- When the cake is cool, carefully, split each layer in half with a serrated knife. (Or bake three layers).
- Place bottom layer on cake plate, securing with a dab of icing.
- Layer with Oreo buttercream, crushed Oreos, cake layer, and repeat. Save the vanilla buttercream for the outside.
- When Oreo tower is assembled, apply a thick coat of vanilla buttercream all over cake.
- Place in refrigerator for whatever time you have…5-30 minutes.
- Make the ganache by combining ingredients on the stove over medium low heat, stirring constantly. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Slowly pour ganache over top of cake allow it to slightly drip over the side.
- Decorate as desired.