The other night, after a really long work day, I decided to cook for company at the last minute. I figured a stir fry would be easy and fairly quick so I just bought all the seemingly relevant items and went to town. I promised myself I’d give it a quick Goog and just commit to the first recipe with the best reviews, not doing gratuitous recon, my usual MO. Sounds funny to say, but brown sauce stir fry recipes have not impressed me in the past. I wanted my hair blown back, but did not have high hopes.
Maybe I should set the bar low more often, because my modified version of Jo Cooks is AWESOME. For serious. It also took about no time to make and you don’t have to marinade the flank steak which is a huge time saver for an unplanned meal. Seriously, my dinner guest ate THIRDS of this and was so busy nomming it up, he just didn’t talk much to me and just exclaimed “So Good” a few key points throughout his courses.
THE Best Beef & Broccoli Stir Fry
For the Beef & Veggies:
- 2 pounds of flank steak, trimmed of fat. Sliced thinly against the grain.
- 2 pounds of broccoli florets, roasted
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 Trade Joe’s Stir Fry blend of veggies
- 1 onion, chopped into 1″ chunks
1 red pepper, chopped into 1″ chunks
- 1 shallot, sliced thinly (only if you happen to have one)
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 T. canola oil
For the Sauce:
- 1/2 c. soy sauce (or Tamari)
- 2 T. flour
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 T. fresh ginger, chopped or 1 T. ginger paste
- 3 T. Mirin
- 3 T. honey
- 2 T. hot chili oil
- 1 T. Siracha
- 1/2 c. beef stock & splash of water. OR just use broth (I didn’t have any)
- Roast your broccoli – Preheat oven to 400F. Toss broccoli florets with olive oil and a generous sprinkling of Kosher salt. Place on jelly roll pan and roast for about 25 minutes, tossing at around the 12 minute mark. Set aside when finished.
- While that’s happening, slice your steak thinly and chop any veggies you are going to add to the stir fry other than broccoli.
- Make the sauce by whisking together all of the sauce ingredients. Set aside.
- Heat 1 T. canola oil in large pan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion (and shallot if using) and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and saute another 2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add any other veggies using in stir fry, like Trader Joe’s blend. Do not add the broccoli you just roasted. Cook about 10 minutes, until desired doneness. If your pan has a lid, place that on to move things along more quickly, sauteing occasionally.
- Remove vegetables from pan and set aside.
- Heat remaining T. of canola oil over medium high heat. When hot, add the beef and sauce. Sauce will begin to thicken immediately. Cook beef around 7-10 minutes, until your desired temperate is met. (Test, by taking slice of beef and cutting to gauge pinkness).
- Add to pan with sauce and beef the broccoli and veggies. Toss to combine. Cook another 2-3 minutes, just to rewarm the veggies.
Looks like a lot of steps, but it’s really so simple. Broccoli. Sauce. Beef. Combine.
Happy to have a new easy recipe in the rotation!