Sometimes you come home from a couple weeks of travel and eat a pizza and sometimes you make Paleo recipes like this Zucchini Carbonara. I was very skeptical of this, but my love of all foods Italian and my need for my pants to fit are at a constant battle, so it seemed worth a shot.
Don’t fear the nutritional yeast as I did. When combined with coconut cream it creates a sauce that makes you realize you almost don’t miss cheese. Almost.
- 3 medium zucchini, spiralized- AKA “Zoodles”
- 1 tsp. of salt
- 4 slices of bacon, crumbled
- 1 T. bacon fat
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 large eggs
- 2 T. nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/3 c. coconut cream
- Spiralize zucchini and toss with 1 tsp. salt. Place is colander to drain for 30 minutes.
- Liberally pat with paper towels to remove as much water as possible. Alternatively, you can drain and squeeze with cheese cloth.
- Whisk together eggs, yeast, salt, & pepper in a small bowl.
- In a medium sauce pan, whisk coconut cream until melted. Then, whisk in egg mixture for about a minute until sauce begins to thicken. Remove from heat.
- In another sauce pan, heat bacon fat and saute garlic until fragrant, a minute or two.
- Add zoodles and toss to coat with fat. Cook another minute or two until zoodles are desired “doneness.”
- Place zoodles in a serving bowl and toss with sauce. Do not add all of the sauce at once as you may not need it.