I’m grossly uncool when it comes to Valentine’s Day…I LOVE IT. It’s just a nice excuse to plan an elaborate meal for no real reason and make others, or even just yourself happy. A few girlfriends tried to talk me into a weekend away, but I stuck to my tradition and whipped up a nice meal instead.
The first course of which was Ina Garten’s Tri-Colore Salad. Absolutely crisp and delicious (and so simple), I might just have to make this again this week.
Ina’s Tri-colore Salad
- 2 shallots, sliced into thin rings
- 2 T. apple cider vinegar
- 3 large radicchio halved, shredded like slaw (Trader Joe’s sells these in 3-packs!)
- 3 oz. baby arugula
- 1 orange, thinly sliced into half rounds
- 1/2 c. herbed feta cheese
- 1/4 c. lemon juice
- 1/4 c. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- salt & pepper
- Soak shallots in AC vinegar for 10 minutes. Drain & discard vinegar.
- Combine radicchio, arugula, orange, feta, & shallots.
- Salt & pepper greens to taste and toss with hands.
- In a container that you can shake, combine lemon juice, olive oil, Dijon, & salt and pepper.
- Lightly coat salad with dressing and serve.
Ina’s recipe calls for kalmata olives instead of cheese. If that’s your jam, go mad. I’ll keep my olives in my martini, thanks.