I’m anxiously awaiting Hurricane Florence in Raleigh, NC, this week and while the forecast keeps changing, the contents of my freezer have not. A pound of ground beef, some canned tomatoes, what’s a girl to do but make Ina Garten’s Bolognese sauce? I came up with this solid life plan when I realize that my favorite cold leftover food was of course, my favorite hot food – pasta. This was happening.
Although when I posed this question to my IG followers, they suggested that Revenge was best served cold, not Bolognese….hmmmmm. I am happy to say, I don’t even know who I would take revenge on should I have the chance. Hitler? He’s dead. Pasta it is.
Ina call this “weeknight Bolognese” for a reason. It is wicked simple and you probably already have all of the ingredients floating around your kitchen. Side note – how fun is this rug and plate combo?
Ina Garten’s Weeknight Bolognese
Serves: Hurricane Florence
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 pound, lean ground beef
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 T. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp chili pepper flakes
- 2 T. tomato paste
- 28 oz. crushed tomatoes
- 1 c. dry red wine, I used a cheap Nero d’Avola from Trader Joe’s
- 3/4 pounds of pasta
- 1/4 c. heavy cream
- 1/4 c. red wine
- 1/2 c. grated parmesan
- Boil water with lots of sea salt for pasta.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat, then brown ground beef.
- Add garlic, oregano, chili flakes, and saute one more minute.
- Mix in tomato paste, tomatoes, 1 cup of wine, bring to a boil.
- Turn heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add pasta to pot, stirring occasionally until cooked al dente.
- Towards end of 10 minute timer, add cream, 1/4 c. wine, and parmesan to sauce. Stir and continue to simmer.
- Drain pasta.
- Top with sauce and more parmesan if needed.
Seriously, this was wonderful and took maybe 30 minutes. Another Ina win! PS. If you’re cooking for someone have a backup bottle of vino. The pasta eats most of bottle #1!
2 Comments Add yours
I totally voted for Bolognese! Also, I appreciate that if someone googles “hitler bolognese hurricane” this post will come up.
why did you google this? how did you find that out????