Well, this was supposed to be my healthy week. I bought all this fresh veg and NO CARBS and as soon as I’d spent a fortune on feeding my body what it should be consuming, I managed to come down with the flu. What do you want when you have the flu? Not a bunch of cruciferous veg. You want bland and you carbs. And you want these homemade bagels from Skinny Taste.
I made these last week, before the health kick, but I was wishing I still had a few in my freezer for my lay around sick days. Crunchy-ish on the outside and chewy on the inside, they are a comfort food of dreams. At only 150 calories each that’s like half of a regular bagel. So what are you waiting for? Stock your freezer. Your sick days will thank you.
I topped mine with dried garlic. Apparently, you can use just about any seasoning.
Chewy. And slightly dense. But I think that’s a factor of using expired baking powder – something the recipes explicitly says not to use. I’ll splurge for fresh the next time I make these.
Skinny Taste Bagels
Makes 4. You’re going to want more.
- 1 c. flour
- 2 tsp. UNEXPIRED baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 c. non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 egg beaten & 1 T water mixed
- Preheat oven to 375 and line a baking pan with parchment or a silpat.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt, and yogurt. The mixture will be crumbly.
- Lightly flour a counter and knead the dough until it combines.
- Divide dough into four balls and roll each int 3/4″ wide ropes.
- Make ropes’ ends meet to form four bagels.
- Brush bagels with egg wash and top with toppings.
- Bake about 25 minutes and allow to cool slightly before cutting.