I realize the holidays were nearly a month ago now, so consider this recipe a bit late or bit early for Valentine’s Day. You will want to make this for Valentine’s Day. It has red accents like that. Maybe just sub out some raspberries and let me know how it goes. This cake is THAT good. It was quickly a family favorite and my baker of a mum, proclaimed this her new favorite cake. She is life’s toughest critic, so this is saying quite a lot.
Just think, if you do make this for Valentine’s day you can garnish it with something that won’t take hours to assemble and then roll around your kitchen. Exhibit A: sugared cranberries. So. many. cranberries.
Isn’t the end result, just lovely though?
I failed to photo a slice of the stuff with cranberries dotting throughout. Just imagine. Or better yet, trust me and make this. IT COMES FROM A BOX.
Almond Cranberry Cake with White Chocolate Buttercream
Serves: only your nearest and dearest
For the Almond Cranberry cake:
- 1 package white cake mix
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 c. sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/3 c. water
- 1 c. sour cream
- 2 T. vegetable oil
- 1.5 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1.5 tsp. almond extract
- 4 egg whites
- 12 oz white chocolate chips
- 3/4 c.heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 c. butter, room temperature
- 8-9 c. powdered sugar
For the Sparkly Cranberries:
2 cups fresh cranberries
1 1/2 c.sugar, divided
1 c. water
Make Yo’ Cake!
- Preheat oven to 325F. Grease and flour 2 9″ round cake pans. You may have a little extra that you will want to make as a ramekin for yourself. Do that too.
- Stir together the white cake mix, flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl until well mixed.
- Pour in the water, sour cream, vegetable oil, almond and vanilla extracts, and egg whites, and beat with an electric mix on low until all the ingredients are mixed and moistened but some lumps still remain, 4 minutes.
- Gently stir in the cranberries.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pans, and bake in the preheated oven until the top is a light golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Allow to cool before frosting.