A couple of weeks ago, I awoke for the strongest craving for butternut squash. The need for that Carmelized savoury goodness just could be stopped. The weird thing was I had never tasted butternut squash before…so why was I craving it? I imagine this is what being pregnant must be like.
Naturally, I listened to my body and hauled a butternut squash home. Having never roasted one, I turned to Ina for help. I immediately filed this experience under “totally overrated.” First, the thing is hard AF. My most giant of knives wasn’t happy. Then, I tried peeling it. Laughable, really. Finally, I just threw the whole thing in the oven and let it cook so it was soft enough to pry out of the damn squash seashell.
A week later, I saw that this is a thing. Pre-cut squash in a plastic seashell. Damnit.
While you roast your damn butternut. Make some salad dressing. It will require honey and make sure not to zap it in the microwave more than a couple seconds or your honey bear will experience nuclear side effects just like this.
More honey flavour in this bomb goat cheese. Highly recommend for your salad. Also, something I rarely eat.
A salad that is nearly IG ready.
<Oprah voice> Carmelization is happennnnnnninggggg!
The finished product is actually worth the effort and has been my go to salad this fall.
But(ternut) This Salad, Though
- Butternut squash. PLEASE BUY THE PRE-CUT CHUNKS AND SAVE YOURSELF AN HOUR
- An ounce or two of honey’ed goat cheese
- Toasted nuts
- Apple cider vinaigrette
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Open package of butternut squash. SO MUCH EASIER.
- Toast your nuts over low heat if you havent. That is to say, toss some nuts in a nonstick pan and move around over medium heat until they smell nutty. Maybe 5 minutes. DON’T BURN THEM.
- VERY LIGHTLY coat squash with olive oil. Sprinkle with sea salt. Spread on pan in a single layer and roast for 7 minutes. Move them around with a spatula and then roast another 8isih minutes. Until you see some carmely crunchy bits. **NOTE: Caution high water content: these will steam your face. Open oven with caution.
- Toss all salad ingredients together and lightly coat with apple cider vinaigrette.
Apple Cider vinaigrette
- 3/4 c. olive oil
- 1/4 c. apple cider vinegar
- 2 T. water
- 2 T. honey
- 1.5 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- Mix it all together and shake it up to combine.