In my undying excitement for her next cookbook currently in the works, I’m going to finish making my way through, Chrissy Teigan’s Cravings . Yup, a fun quest that you can track via my Super Model Project page. That’s because I will end up looking like one, right? With my own romantic John Legendesque character to taste test and sing me ballads in the kitchen? That’s what we’re shooting for here.
Anyway…..the first recipe of my challenge was the simple, chicken lettuce wraps. I’ve been meaning to make these for awhile and my current health kick, aka all of of my birthday weekend foods are finally gone, tonight was just the night.
Now, this is a healthy recipe, so don’t pour yourself a glass of wine and just get to chopping. Zzzzz. Instead, wash your veg and cover your counter with it. This will make you feel really healthy as you suck in your cheese/wine/cake gut that seems to have shockingly sprouted after multiple celebrations this last week.
Prop your cookbook up on a stand as to not get the pretty pages dirty.
Now get to chopping. This recipe is all mis-en-place and sauce. So, go-ahead take every bottle of Asian inspired liquid out of your cabinet because they’ll all end up in this spicy/sweet sauce.
Now that you’re chopped and loaded, it’s all in the saute. Easy, peasy. And if you’re like me and demand a crunch factor in all of your foods, you’ll roughly chop some peanuts to top your salad tacos. Meow.
So, I’m not sure if it’s cool to share CT’s recipes, even if there are some Lauren variations, but I’m going to give it ago until she sends me a cease and desist letter. More likely, she’ll swing by and we’ll drink and cook together; a best friendship in the making. Fingers crossed…forks and knives at attention.
Chicken Lettuce Wraps
(With my variations)
For the Sauce:
- 3 T. Thai sweet chili sauce
- 3 T. hoisin sauce
- 3 T. light soy sauce
- 2 T. Siracha
- 2 T. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1.5 T. unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 T. minced garlic (4 cloves)
- 2 tsp. minced, fresh ginger
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 3 T. vegetable oil
- 8 scallions, sliced, whites and greens separated
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tsp. minced, fresh ginger
- 1/2 c. diced water chestnuts
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 hydroponically-grown head of butter lettuce
- 1/4 c. coarsely chopped, salted peanuts
- Combine all sauce ingredients in bowl or salad dressing container. Shake/stir vigorously.
- Heat 2 T. of vegetable oil over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken and 2 T. of the sauce. Saute until brown.
- Remove chicken and place on paper-towel lined plate to drain.
- Heat 1 T. of vegetable oil in the same pan. Add scallion whites, garlic, ginger and saute for one minute.
- Add pepper, water chestnuts, and any other vegetables you are throwing in. Saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add chicken back to pan and then combine everything with all of the remaining sauce.
- Turn head to medium-low and saute for about five minutes, until the sauce is reduced slightly.
- Serve heaping spoonfuls for chicken mixture on leaves. Top with green scallions and peanuts.
Finally, check mirror for supermodel looks. Is it working yet?