Tomorrow’s Birthday forecast: cloudy with 100% chance of carmelized onion dip. Showers of compliments to follow. VIP guests moving in overnight. 😉
You put that hand up on that chip…When I dip, you dip, we dip. Dive into this easy-to-make, delicious, carmelized onion dip from Ina Garten. When VIP visitors demand VIP snacks, you can always count on this recipe.
Pan-Fried Onion Dip
Recipe Courtesy of Ina Garten
- 2 large yellow onions
- 4 T unsalted butter
- 1/4 c vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 4 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 c. sour cream
- 1/2 c. good mayonnaise (Duke’s)
- Cut the onions in half and then slice them into 1/8-inch thick half-rounds.
- Heat the butter and oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the onions, cayenne, salt, and pepper and saute for 10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 more minutes until the onions are browned and caramelized. Allow the onions to cool.
- Place the cream cheese, sour cream and mayonnaise in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat until smooth.
- Add the onions and mix well. Taste for seasonings.
- Serve at room temperature.