My Chap is big into the full immersion program. And not like let’s send the (nonexistent) children to French primary school (totally happening). More like, we should move-in together immediately. Ok! And meet my parents, but instead of over dinner, how about 10 days of isolation with them. Oh, alright. Since, apparently, we are gluttons for punishment, we DROVE (ugh) from NC to Cape Cod, through the night, no stops, to you know, meet them and spend a week. It was fine… But I was expecting to be the passenger so I could freshen up and perfect my messy bun. Nope, I was driver and didn’t get to de-slick my greasy face! Yay! Did I mention I’d been up all night while my boyfriend slept? Right, well….
All went apparently fine… As we’d be spent a few more concentrated weekends and holidays with them. Lucky for me, the folks were lovely. But, I’m not sure why I’m surprised that we went with the same methodology as I meet the extended fam. Forget dinner or drinks. Come and lets hang out together alone in our PJ’s! Make-up? What’s that!? Jonathan? Who’s that!? #besties.
Yep, met an aunt and uncle the same way this weekend. Just spend the night, I won’t be around too much, but my girlfriend will. Oh ok. Hope these people like cheese! What else do you do with stranger house guests? Answer: cheese. Must of worked as the aunt asked for the recipe three times. Here it is for your entertaining enjoyment.
Naked and famous: a Brie-rito.
All dressed up and to sit on the couch we go.
Bacon, Peach, and Basil Wrapped Brie
Serves: a few strangers
- 1 sheer puff pastry, thawed
- 2 wedges of brie (pssstttt, it’s cheaper than the rounds)
- 1/4 or so c. Bone Maman peach preserves (the good shit)
- 3 slices of crumbled bacon
- 2 T. Chopped, fresh basil and a sprig for garnish
- 1 egg
- Apples, bread, or crackers for vessels
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Place Brie wedges against each other on top of puff pastry.
- Spread top of cheese wth peach preserves. Sprinkle with bacon and basil.
- Wrap sides of parchment neatly and as tightly as possible around Brie.
- Beat egg and brush onto cheese bundle. This helps the pastry brown Nicely.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until the Brie springs a “leak”, oozing out of the sides.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for a few minutes before cutting into that very liquidy, molten Brie.
- Make friends immediately using this technique.